Help families fleeing Ukraine!
Donate
Donation

War in Ukraine

Help families fleeing Ukraine!

In Ukraine, war has become a tangible reality for millions. Thousands of families have been displaced from war-torn areas.

Hungarian Interchurch Aid is providing immediate assistance to those who have been forced to leave everything behind and is launching a comprehensive relief programme to support them.

We are launching a nationwide fundraising campaign to support our humanitarian aid programme in response to the war in Ukraine. You can donate online on this very page, or via bank transfer:

Bank’s name: OTP Bank Nyrt.
Account name: Hungarian Interchurch Aid
IBAN Nr. (EUR): HU 13-1176-3842-0065-8885-00000000
IBAN Nr. (USD): HU 39-1176-3842-0073-9012-00000000
Swift code: OTPVHUHB

Help families fleeing Ukraine!

How we help?

Transcarpathia – support for refugees and displaced people

We have strengthened our centre in Berehovo, which can support tens of thousands of IDP’s arriving in the region if needed. We are continuing to supply durable food and hygiene supplies from Hungary in response to the current shortage of goods and food. In addition to refugee shelters and local social institutions, we also support those who remain in need as a result of the war.

Lviv – international solidarity for refugees

A coordination centre and warehouse has been set up in Lviv to effectively assist refugees and host communities. In addition to tangible assistance, we are also paying attention to the special needs of children and psychosocial support. As a member of ACT Alliance (an international association of church-based relief organisations) that has been working in the region for decades, we coordinate the relief programme of our partner organisations.

 

 

Ukrainian-Hungarian border – support for fleeing families

We have set up an assistance point near the Beregsurany-Astyria border crossing on the Ukrainian side, where we provide food, tea, blankets, hygiene items baby care items, warming shelters and mobile toilets to refugees who have been waiting for hours. If needed, we also provide information in Hungarian and Ukrainian on how to find temporary accommodation in Hungary.

We are providing emergency aid to Ukraine worth HUF 1 billion until the end of June. We support 250 metric tons of supplies monthly, of which approximately 70% is non-perishable food. The remaining 30% are sanitary- and childcare products.

Our programme covers 10 regions: apart from Transcarpathia it also encompasses the cities and regions of Lviv, Ternopil, Ivano-Frankivsk, Chernivtsi, Dnipro, Zaporizhzhia, Kharkiv, Poltava and Cherkasy.

Hungary – reception and accommodation of refugees

Our institutions in Debrecen, Miskolc and Budapest welcome refugee families in need and support them with food and shelter and psychosocial support. Thanks to the donations of our partners, we also have significant additional accommodation capacity, providing shelter to hundreds of refugee families in need. For those arriving by train to Budapest, we provide assistance at the transit shelter in the BOK Sports Hall. The coordination between the NGOs is also carried out by the staff of HIA.
We help waiting families at Budapest Liszt Ferenc Airport by running a child-friendly play area.

Let's help Ukrainian refugees together! Donate

Background

HIA is officially registered in Ukraine (Kiev) and operates nationwide. The rapid and coordinated response is made possible thanks to HIA’s 25 year presence and the mechanisms and partnerships established during the crisis that started in 2014-15 along with the recent COVID relief operations (hospital supplies, ventilator deliveries). A cooperation agreement with the Governor of Transcarpathia and close collaboration with local partners help to ensure that donations reach their destination.

 

 

<b>Background</b>